AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow.
We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas : immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health, and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio.
For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com.
Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn.
Biologics Drug Product Development Internship Overview
Envision spending your summer working with energetic colleagues and inspirational leaders, all while gaining world-class experience in one of the most dynamic organizations in the pharmaceutical industry.
This is a reality for AbbVie Interns.
The Biologics Drug Product Development department is within the AbbVie Bay Area (ABA) Chemistry, Manufacturing, and Controls (CMC) Biologics department in South San Francisco, CA.
This group is responsible for formulation and drug product process development that are required for developing stable and fit-for-purpose biologic drug products.
This graduate level internship will focus on identifying and mitigating challenges associated with low concentration drug products, particularly protein adsorption and degradation during manufacturing, storage, and clinical in-use conditions.
Key responsibilities include :
- Design and execute representative lab-scale experiments to evaluate protein adsorption and degradation during manufacturing, storage, and clinical in-use conditions
- Identify relative risk of protein adsorption and degradation under various formulation conditions using analytical techniques, such as : quartz crystal microbalance with dissipation (QCM-D);
size exclusion chromatography (SEC); particle characterization (micro-flow imaging); and ion-exchange chromatography (IEX)
- Document experimental design, execution, and results in electronic lab notebook
- Develop recommendations for formulation composition and process changes to mitigate identified risks
- Share findings in technical presentation and technical report
- Currently enrolled in university, pursuing a Master’s degree or PhD in Chemical Engineering, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or other related field
- Must be enrolled in university for at least one semester following the internship
- Expected graduation date between December 2024 – July 2025
- Previous experience with laboratory work, preferably in a research setting
- Exposure to protein characterization techniques
- Research experience related to adsorption at liquid-solid, liquid-liquid, or liquid-air interfaces
- Prior experience with QCM-D
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Effective written and oral communication skills
Benefits and Amenities
- Competitive pay
- Relocation support for eligible students
Applicable only to applicants applying to a position in any location with pay disclosure requirements under state or local law :
The compensation range described below is the range of possible base pay compensation that the Company believes in good faith it will pay for this role at the time of this posting based on the job grade for this position.
Individual compensation paid within this range will depend on many factors including geographic location, and we may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range.
This range may be modified in the future.
The salary range is : (minimum : $68,182.40 to maximum : $101,420.80)
Note : No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, incentive, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company’s sole and absolute discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole and absolute discretion, consistent with applicable law.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients.
As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
To apply for this job please visit www.talent.com.