Would you like to see examples of Scrum manager job descriptions? Well, you’re in the right place.
It is essential that you write up an effective Scrum master job description so that the right candidates come to you. The Scrum master uses their skills and expertise to coach teams. A Scrum master bases their coaching on the principles, values, and processes of the Scrum framework.
Also, the Scrum master guides the Scrum team and ensures they follow the appropriate processes. The Scrum master does not perform direct tasks. However, they do assist team members in accomplishing their tasks.
Problems within a task may hurt team efforts or make specific goals hard to accomplish. A Scrum master has the ability to solve these problems by eliminating obstacles and distractions.
This allows team members to complete tasks on time, unimpeded, and within or under budget. While Scrum masters are not responsible for team members’ direct actions, they act as advisors and indirect supervisors.
The Scrum master role is a liaison between external stakeholders and the Scrum team. The Scrum master is similar to a project manager. They both collaborate with teams and other people, such as vendor development teams and the product owner.
While working with them, the Scrum master develops and reviews Scrum artifacts, including sprint and product backlog. They keep the Scrum moving and report on developments. In addition, they make sure to celebrate successes and define, understand, and resolve roadblocks.
Finding reliable new employees who know how to coordinate with your development teams is challenging. This article provides six well-defined Scrum master job description templates for you to modify to your needs.
Scrum Master Job Description Example 1 – Scrum Master
The Scrum Master must have excellent Scrum framework knowledge. This includes all its techniques and artifacts. It’s also essential that the Scrum master has the ability to coordinate projects and people with a determination to deliver. They must invest in Agile frameworks and be strong communicators and capable leaders.
We seek an experienced Scrum master to guide and oversee Scrum teams. As the Scrum master, you ensure that the development teams adhere to Scrum framework values and follow agile practices. You must also mentor and motivate teams to improve processes. In addition, you must facilitate decision-making processes and meetings and eliminate team impediments.
To be a successful Scrum master, you must have a firm understanding of Agile practices. Your responsibility is to manage and mentor development teams. This job requires excellent problem-solving, interpersonal, and project management skills.
The Scrum Master is expected to:
- Manage each project’s timeline and scope.
- Coordinate sprints, daily stand-ups, and retrospective meetings.
- Coach team members about Agile frameworks.
- Facilitate effective collaboration and internal communication.
- Handle external communication with stakeholders and customers.
- Work together with product owners to handle new requests and backlogs.
- Remove obstacles and resolve conflicts that occur.
- Help teams implement effective changes.
- Ensure deliverables are of quality standards by the end of every sprint.
- Help development teams to attain a higher level of Scrum maturity.
- Create a productive environment where team members feel confident and enjoy product work.
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, computer science, or a related technical discipline.
- Must have experience in the Scrum master role.
- Must be familiar with software development.
- Strong knowledge of Scrum artifacts and techniques. These may include the Definition of Done, backlog refinement, user stories, and automated testing.
- Excellent knowledge of additional Agile frameworks, such as Crystal or XP.
- Excellent servant leadership and presentation skills.
- Conflict-resolution and problem-solving abilities.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Scrum master certification is an advantage.
Scrum Master Job Description Example 2 – Senior Scrum Master
Our organization’s mission is to deliver professional solutions of the highest level. We act as a trusted partner and customer advisor. As a certified SBA 8(a) small business, we support customers in the civilian, federal, and private sectors. We seek a strong and skilled Scrum leader that can build and guide project teams.
The Senior Scrum Master is expected to:
- Ensure quality Scrum execution story cards. This includes the Definition of Done and Readiness. They must also commit to on-time delivery.
- Work with product owners to ensure a balance between high-quality working software and features.
- Facilitate Release planning workshop.
- Study and pursue continuous education on Scrum to stay up-to-date with Scrum knowledge.
- Educate the product owner and Scrum team on backlog creation practices, Agile planning, Agile requirements, and Scrum.
- Monitor transparency of the release vision.
- Promote standard Agile/Scrum practices.
- Promote transparency and ensure that all Scrum events occur to facilitate opportunities to adapt and inspect.
- Coordinate with the Scrum team and monitor them to ensure they adhere to Scrum practices.
- Keep teams focused on the current sprint goals using stand-ups and Big Visible Charts.
- Encourage test automation.
- Ensure that no one makes changes that endanger the sprint goal.
- Use quality and delivery rate metrics and team feedback, then use it to discover areas of opportunity. Thereafter, work with the team to continue improving – with the help of an experienced Scrum master and coach.
- Oversee and manage core Agile ceremonies for primary market research teams and customer intelligence. This includes daily stand-ups, backlog refinement, demos, and retros.
- Masters in engineering, computer science, business or administration, management, information systems, or information technology.
- A minimum of 3 years of Scrum master experience.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in an Agile team.
- Ability to implement a structured, repeatable, and disciplined approach and a data-driven culture to the Agile process.
- Ability to manage dependencies between budget, team capacity, software quality, prioritization, and committed deadlines.
- Certification and excellent knowledge in Agile framework.
- Experience working in an environment that uses current and state-of-the-art technologies.
- Capable of overseeing multi-functional project teams and has the experience to prove it. This includes leading Agile Scrum teams on integrated and complex platforms.
- The following certifications are a plus: PMP, CSPO, CSM, PSM, PM, CSP, SPC, ITIL, and SA.
Scrum Master Job Description Example 3 – Agile Scrum Master
Our organization commits to improving a high-speed government that aims to anticipate the future. We focus on analytic and digital solutions, management advisory services, and logistics.
We are seeking a Certified Scrum Master that has the ability to support client activities. They must do this through the Hosting and Data Center (HaDC) with the Security Information Systems Agency (SISA). We require you to support multiple projects at the same time. This position also allows for remote support.
The Agile Scrum Master is expected to:
- Coach and guide the Scrum team on adhering to Agile principles and practices. This helps them deliver high-quality services and products to customers.
- Encourage the team to perform better by recognizing their areas of improvement and strength. At the same time, employ appropriate development and coaching techniques.
- Ensure that the team adheres to and understands Scrum theory, guidelines, and practices.
- Coach Scrum team on effective communication, have a cross-functional skill set, self-organize, and use domain knowledge.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders and the Scrum team to drive and influence decision-making and support product teams and organizational projects.
- Resolve team problems with other Scrum masters to improve the effectiveness of Scrum in the organization.
- Work with additional Scrum masters and Agile coaches to develop as a Scrum master.
- Work towards improving and advancing Agile practices in the organization.
- Support and facilitate all Scrum events, such as sprint planning, sprint reviews, daily Scrum, and sprint retrospective.
- Be a leader who supports and coaches Agile teams assigned to Business as Usual (BAU) work. This also applies to portions of corporate initiatives and projects and important department initiatives.
- A Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of four years of project or product development experience.
- At least three years of project development experience within an Agile team.
- An alternative is to have a combination of work experience and education.
- Certification in CSM, SAFe Scrum Master, or PMI Agile Scrum.
- Experience facilitating meetings at different levels in an organization and understanding facilitation techniques.
- Solid understanding of how to use Microsoft Office applications, such as Outlook, Excel, and Word.
- Promotes and exemplifies Agile principles and values.
- Outstanding negotiation, facilitation, and coaching skills.
- Expert knowledge of Agile frameworks or methods, like Scrum or Kanban. You must understand relevant software development life cycle models. It also requires an in-depth understanding of traditional project management practices and principles.
- Skilled in refinement, estimation, story splitting, retrospection, velocity, and other Scrum techniques.
- The role requires an active secret clearance and the ability to gain and maintain a top-secret clearance.
Scrum Master Job Description Example 4 – Product Owner
The scrum master’s role is to support product owners by finding effective methods to manage product backlogs. This position requires you to help project teams communicate the product owner’s wishlist. We expect you to optimize and arrange product backlogs and Scrum events when necessary.
The Scrum Master is expected to:
- Ensure all Scrum team members understand the scope, goals, and product domain.
- Find effective product backlog management techniques.
- Help the Scrum team to understand why product backlog items need to be clear and concise.
- Understand product planning in empirical environments.
- Ensure that the product owner understands how to arrange product backlog for maximum value.
- Understand and practice agility.
- Facilitate Scrum events.
- A computer science qualification or Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Solid knowledge of Agile frameworks and methodology.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Agile Scrum Master Certification.
Scrum Master Job Description Example 5 – Development Team
We are seeking a Scrum master with the ability to coach and coordinate software development teams. This position requires you to assist software development teams in applying the Scrum framework. You must have the ability to plan deliverables and help teams monitor performance. In addition, you must resolve issues that interfere with the teams’ work.
The Scrum Master is expected to:
- Coach the development team in cross-functionality and self-organization.
- Help the development team create products of high value.
- Removing obstacles from the development team’s progress.
- Facilitate Scrum events when the development team needs them.
- Coach development teams in organizational environments if they do not understand or know how to adopt Scrum.
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science, or a relevant field.
- Certified Scrum Master with a preference for SAFe.
- Minimum of three or more years of Scrum master experience or a similar role.
- Ability to deliver solutions with working knowledge of agile frameworks, methodology, and techniques, like Scrum or Kanban.
- Management and leadership experience.
- Excellent project and people management skills.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
Scrum Master Job Description Example 6 – Organization
As the Scrum Master in our organization, your role is to coach and lead Scrum adoption. You must plan Scrum implementations. This includes implementing steps and changes to increase team productivity. This position requires you to collaborate with additional Scrum masters to make methodologies more efficient.
The Scrum Master is expected to:
- Coach and lead the company with Scrum adoption.
- Plan Scrum implementations for the company.
- Help stakeholders and employees enact and understand Scrum empirical product development.
- Cause change that improves the Scrum team’s productivity.
- Work with additional Scrum masters to enhance the effectiveness of Scrum in the organization.
- Scrum Master Certification, such as CSP or PSM II.
- Experience with managing projects using Waterfall and Agile methodologies and Scrum.
- Ability to adjust to a changing and fast-paced environment and ensure the delivery of agility and flexibility by evolving the change solution.
- Understanding of effective stakeholder engagement in a challenging business environment.
- Excellent communication, leadership, interpersonal, and facilitation skills to maintain and establish excellent working relationships in the corporate environment.