Recommended Books to Read:
1) Cracking the PM Interview: How to Land a Product Manager Job in Technology
Cracking the PM Interview is a comprehensive book about landing a product management role in a startup or bigger tech company. Learn how the ambiguously-named “PM” (product manager / program manager) role varies across companies, what experience you need, how to make your existing experience translate, what a great PM resume and cover letter look like, and finally, how to master the PM interview questions (estimation questions, behavioral questions, case questions, product questions, technical questions, and the super important “pitch”).
2) The Product Manager’s Survival Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Succeed as a Product Manager
Written by one of today’s leading Product Management thought-leaders, Steven Haines, The Product Manager’s Survival Guide provides best practices, practical on-the-job advice, and a step-by-step blueprint for succeeding in Product Management. Whatever your level of experience–whether you’re a novice product manager or seasoned Product Management leader–you’ll find everything you need to make consistent positive impacts on your business.
3) The Product Manager’s Desk Reference 2E
The Product Manager’s Desk Reference, Second Edition, provides the knowledge, tools, and insight you need to establish yourself as a cutting-edge product manager who contributes measurably to your company’s success. In this fully revised edition of the definitive product management guide, veteran product management thought leader and practitioner Steven Haines clearly illustrates the entire product life cycle, from beginning to end. The Product Manager’s Desk Reference is packed with an array of best practices and helpful hints that are critical to the efficient management of products.
4) Decode and Conquer: Answers to Product Management Interviews
Decode and Conquer reveals:
- Frameworks for tackling product design and metrics questions, including theCIRCLES Method™, AARM Method™, and DIGS Method™
- Biggest mistakes PM candidates make at the interview and how to avoid them
- Insider tips on just what interviewers are looking for and how to answer so they can’t say NO to hiring you
- Sample answers for the most important PM interview questions
5) Inspired: How To Create Products Customers Love
Product management expert Marty Cagan shares lessons learned, techniques, and best practices from working for and with some of the most successful companies in the high-tech industry.
6) Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products that Customers Love
In Agile Product Management with Scrum, leading Scrum consultant Roman Pichler uses real-world examples to demonstrate how product owners can create successful products with Scrum. He describes a broad range of agile product management practices, including making agile product discovery work, taking advantage of emergent requirements, creating the minimal marketable product, leveraging early customer feedback, and working closely with the development team.
Greylock Partners: Let’s Talk About Product Management